November 18, 2007

Sudoku

We are not creatures of circumstances;
We are creators of circumstances

..Benjamin Disraeli

It was lunch break, sometime ago in my first semester of Actuarial studies. I was at MPH bookstore with few classmates, naive yet to be mathematicians. I strolled down the book alley, alone. My tummy was perhaps serenading Johann Pachelbel’s Canon in D for the scrumptious meal. As I walked, I met my classmates who were amusing themselves at the Sudoku corner. So I joined. Then came *Goldilocks who before was at the magazine section, and asked us what was so comical. “Oh, just joking about Sudoku,” I said. “Sudoku? Apa tu?” questioned *Goldilocks. “Alaaa, Sudoku tuh Sudu Aku!” answered Bea with a straight face.

All of us burst out loud! Bea has a quick mind when it comes to silly answers. But *Goldilocks remained compose and asked “Kenapa korang gelak?*Goldilocks honest to God had no idea what in heaven’s name was Sudoku! No laughs, zilch. We were too stunned hearing that from *Goldilocks. To this day, I know well we can never erase that incident about an ignorant figures' lover and Bea’s wackiness, both.

I’m sure many of you are aware of Sudoku. Please, if you say no, I’d say to you get out of your tempurung kelapa! Boohoo! I know not many enjoy the 9x9 grid number puzzle (sometimes 16, or they combined five 9x9 Sudoku; Samurai Sudoku). But of course it doesn’t hurt to have knowledge of it. And contrary to popular beliefs, Sudoku is in no relation to mathematical puzzle or some sort. It’s straight logic.

I’m an avid Sudoku fan. It is known that Sudoku helps enhance brain memory. Yay me!

Anyway, I came across an advert few months ago of a Samurai Sudoku competition. To cut it short, my sister Alia entered it today. So did I, but I did not qualify for final round. Mak said if it wasn’t for my comme ci comme ça attitude I could have easily placed myself.

It was held at One Utama by MISG Insurance Solutions. My dad, mom and I tag along to cheer for Alia. The whole Sunday was spent lounging around the ground floor of High Street as Alia managed to qualify 3 rounds before entering the final stage. She was in the San category of 12 to 17 years old. And the waiting was worth because my sister won second place! Zillions hooray to Alia! We did not quite expect her to achieve that as there were many competitors and Alia was the only Malay girl in her final group. I’m not being cynical but you know how Malays are always ignorant of such matters. But definitely not me! Of course neither are my parents. I encouraged her to enter as Alia has always been the little Einstein in the family. I know there is no proven connection of intelligence and Sudoku, but I dare say there must be the least of it. My sister is one living genius. Since a tot, she has never scored the back row. Also, she did it with little efforts (she’s the number one fan of last minute study) but with ultimate diligence. Talk about blowing own (on behalf of my sister) trumpet huh?

Before I get carried away, she scored a check (must be nice to her). She qualified herself to the regional championship which will be held on January the 13th next year at One Utama. So come along, have a look at the geeky (do I belong here?) contestants. Some were so stressed out. Alia of course danced swiftly.

I feel disappointed whenever I see the least of us participating. How do we move on when education is not being put forward but material world is? There has to be balance. Also we need to have a force of unity. If thousands of us bonded for the current talk about rally, I don’t see the impossible to inculcate a lifetime reward, education.
 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0