‘I can listen no longer in silence… You pierce my soul... Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever... Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death… Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant… For you alone, I think and plan… You sink your voice... You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most deviating, in
‘Frederick Wentworth
‘Frederick Wentworth
That is an excerpt from the book ‘Persuasion’ written by Jane Austen. It is unabridged. Talk about classics. I was never a fan of classical writing although they have resided the bookshelves in my house before I even learn to read. This presumably is because of my mom. She is a classical book slave. Name her any classic authors and in a glimpse she’ll name you all the books they had written. Ironically, my writings are influenced by theirs. Since I said ‘I was never a fan of classical writing...’ it shows somehow along the way I have bud interest in it. True.
So anyway, Persuasion is Austen’s last finished novel. Back to the excerpt, wouldn’t it be nice to have a man send you that beauty? But I never would want a man speaking in that tone to me every freaking day. I’d die of brain drain just to understand his point of saying. Thing is, it is just spectacular how one’s writing affects you. I was on cloud nine the moment I read this. Then I began imagining how life would be if English is still spoken in such way. Good God! Say you accidentally met a friend. She was not in a good health although she was when you met her the other day. So instead of just saying ‘you were fine last Thursday’ you have to say ‘you sent me such a good account of yourself on Thursday’. Haha. If someone were to come up to me and say that, I’d definitely die of shock.
So anyway, Persuasion is Austen’s last finished novel. Back to the excerpt, wouldn’t it be nice to have a man send you that beauty? But I never would want a man speaking in that tone to me every freaking day. I’d die of brain drain just to understand his point of saying. Thing is, it is just spectacular how one’s writing affects you. I was on cloud nine the moment I read this. Then I began imagining how life would be if English is still spoken in such way. Good God! Say you accidentally met a friend. She was not in a good health although she was when you met her the other day. So instead of just saying ‘you were fine last Thursday’ you have to say ‘you sent me such a good account of yourself on Thursday’. Haha. If someone were to come up to me and say that, I’d definitely die of shock.