October 31, 2009

Just Because

Hope is a waking dream.
- Aristotle

Mother informed me that today is arwah atuk's birthday. She misses him. He had left a huge impact on her life. Indirectly on mine too. He was a husband, a father, and a grandfather. I was too small to remember each moment we spent together. But my storytellers never failed to assure me about the overflowing love he had for me. Just me - his favorite grandchild.

I keep rewinding the play. Many a time when I space out, I think of him. I rewind the play. The one play which occurred in my dream that I never want to let go off. Also the one sketch I hold onto for the rest of my life. Because when all else fail, I have him. He lives on, in my heart.

He spoilt me in any way he could. My late maternal grandmother told me that. The laughs she and I had were at their peak when they concerned of his lame answers to my never-ending silly questions. But he answered. He listened.

A beautiful girl like you is not seeing anyone?
Don't be too choosy.
Why are you not in a relationship?

Thank you and oh I'm flattered. But sorry to disappoint you, I know what I want in life. And for now, that is not a priority. Especially when both of them set up the standard high. Too high.

You're hard to please.
You're too headstrong to handle.
Your ego is even higher than mine.

Thank you boys, but that made me one unbelievably tough cookie. I'm just not your average Jane. And I learn from the best; both arwah and ayah. The hardship they went through isn't up to par with mine. But it sure made me the odd one out. Call me cocky, but I'm proud of that.

I fall down, I do. But the rain can never completely erode the mountain.

Happy birthday atuk.
 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0