December 04, 2008

Say what?

Real integrity is doing the right thing,
knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
- Oprah Winfrey


You see, I often have this problem of finding the right thing to say as a prologue. Not that it is crucial but I cannot leave it trifling. Just like how they made us follow the guideline to produce a good essay in school (more like saving up the examiner's time). Don't all those bring to anything but utter nuisance? Well school was out three years ago (shit I'm getting old) who the heck pin-up those guidelines?


Nonetheless, thank you. If not for my English teachers I would have had no courage to voice out in ink. Having your writings being somewhat recommended be read in class sure were moments to frame - in case I run out of stories to share with my grandkids (imagine me being a grandmamma, I hear you laughing... shush!). Cocky, I know. The glorious days ended there though. These days, jealousy twitches each time I come across exceptional writings. If only flair can be bought or at least loaned.


Plain babbling, just warming up.


It is such a wonder how courageous one can be to speak up - previous post. We are entitled to our own opinions. Your stupid analogy might clashes with mine and my idiotic view might bounces from yours. Understandable. That makes this world a place to ponder. And pondering is good, proves you human. Too much make it perhaps fatal, not technically of course.



Quite frankly, I don’t understand this whole fuss of stereotyping women who are donned in tudung and of those who aren’t. Judging a book by its cover is occasionally to be taken into account of. Physical impression is important. However the second meeting is enough to turn your perplexity even by a 180 degree. Preferences. I adore her but you never want to know of her existence. Why so? Is it because she wears tudung, or because she wears hot pants? Think.



This whole crap of stereotyping is made to ease our minds. Tell me one person who does not label? Malays are infamous for…, Chinese are …, and Indians are… (you can fill in the blanks yourselves). We created this heinous society. It isn’t something to be proud of but is surfaced for reasons that are to be concluded by penchant. The surrounding and upbringing play a part. Scout for the silver lining.



1. Just so happen she wore shorts that day to the mall, then she went to the surau. Oh wow, why? ...to pray, duh?


2. Eh, it was her picture with boobs coming out we saw at X's profile last night kan? How come she’s donned in tudung with her parents now?


I have so much to thank for this mentality because if not for ‘stereotype’ I wouldn’t have befriended a girl who smokes, another one who drinks, or her that parties, not to forget the one who is clad in tudung labuh and yes of course the one who cheated on her boyfriend.



“Jangan derhaka dengan mak, dengar cakap mak, syurga dengan mak,”
it is still vivid the day Wan Anjang reminded me that. Wan Anjang is my late maternal grandmother’s younger sister. She lives in Pahang and we visit her every Raya. It has been few years since she was attacked by stroke – paralysed waist down. Looking at her brought back the memories I had with arwah wan. They look much alike. I miss her, the sweet smile seeing us fooling around, the tender hugs and kisses, and the treasonous words of advice.
Sigh.


Not most are blessed with an understanding mother. And not many share a close connection. Even so, arguments happen at times. Nevertheless, they are our mother despite their behaviours. And they are women. Does not wearing tud
ung make her a bad mother? Does cladding in one secure her as the perfect mother?


Ask yourself, do you label your mother?



So again what’s with the big fuss? Perhaps she isn’t wearing tudung at the moment but later who knows? You see her all wrapped up in a purdah but in the future can you tell? The judgement day will come, leave it to God. Why not judge only to satisfy our tastes, not to condemn people. Constructive opinions I believe are welcomed. You cannot possibly gratify everybody’s expectations. For as long as your loved ones accept you for who you are, be yourself. And always say your thank you to the Almighty.



Oh my mother always presses the repeat button, the one that plays to me,
"yang penting tuh hati, biar luas jangan sempit".

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0