Take the first step in faith.
You don’t have to see the whole staircase.
Just take the first step.
...Dr. Martin Luther King Jr (1929-1968)
Every so often, words are defined literally. Like the fishes, they never swim against the river’s flow. Some say it’s Mother Nature, some never have a thought and I call it mundane. Once I saw two rainbows bridging the sky, it must have meant something. Double joy perhaps, but little voices whispered the chemistry of evil in beauty.
Oh what rubbish am I trying to scatter.
I love superfluous words, don’t you? Be it in factual, classical, modern, et al in fact. They sort of diminish world’s trepidation. Escapism.
Get to the point, please.
Patience! Prologue is never without frills, for with frills it excites the latter. Golly. My reason of writing conceivably has nothing to do with any of this. Or does it?
Anyway, I got a bit disturbed after reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Euginedes. I tried hard to pen down the running thoughts, but I just couldn’t. Contemplation arose not because of the story, but the ambiguous messages. Therefore I came to a closure, perhaps – to gush them in words of a specific topic. That is teacher.
Why? Of all things, why? It sort of dented my skull recently. Ouch. Last Tuesday began another chapter in my book of being a teacher. I never have the slightest thought of becoming one, and now I hope not to finish the last sentence. It is obviously not my profession; I did it at first as a favour. And one thing comes after another. I took it more as a way of sharing what I have, not much but fairly adequate. I am only 18years old after all.
Ever think of anything but a teacher as a teacher? The vivid illusion afloat some time in the middle of the night. I realised that my parents, family, friends, belongings, etc are my teachers. They widened my horizon in many ways. I have learned of life particularly from them. It was always of school and textbooks I referred a teacher as. No. Each essence in life is a teacher. You are a teacher, to yourself of course.
I enjoy teaching somehow. It gives me the satisfaction like how writing has had on me. I get electrified upon being asked. The jitters developed as I help with the solving. It is one trait I assume to have inherited from my mother. Alas, I can never be like her. People like my mother, it is their wisdom that you search for, and education seems secondary.
Through teaching – more like tutoring in my case, I observe people’s behaviours. We are fascinating individuals. I have shared my meek knowledge on Physics with peers (Syukri & Dira), on Bahasa with an elementary boy and recently on Mathematics with my sister and cousins – SPM2008 candidates. Oh boy. I must say, teaching the small kid to read in Bahasa was the hardest. I think I have gained more than they did!
Life does not just revolve around you. The ability to open up your mind, and accept others’ life bits is rewarding. It teaches you to be more grateful, humble, and patient. Most importantly is to have faith in you. This one tulip of my journey has only blossomed. What about yours?